Thursday, January 13, 2011

The "Best" Blueberry Muffins


Muffins have been a little difficult for me.

Well, lets face it. The first batch turned out gummy. (Damn that applesauce)

The second batch burned. (Pumpkin can die)

The third worked (corn muffins). I decided I must conquer my fear with sweet muffins and try to find a recipe that is fabulous.

And trust me it is.

I am usually not a fan of muffins, frankly I deemed them a waste of calories. But, these have made me a convert, top is crunchy from the lemony topping and the inside is moist and light. These are defeinitly not your Mama's muffin. They are so much more.

"Best" Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C. All purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 C. Fresh or frozen blueberries
1 C. plus 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
4 Tbs butter, melted
1/4 C. Vegetable oil
1/2 C. Milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 C. Fat free yogurt (I used goat yogurt and it gave them a great tang)
12 Tsp. blueberry jam (For top)
2 Large Eggs

For the topping:
1/4 C. granulated sugar
The zest of one lemon (I used a meyer)
12 tsp. Blueberry jam


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and make sure the rack you are using is positioned in the middle of the oven.
2.. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and table salt in a medium sized bowl.
3. Combine the milk and yogurt together and whisk until there are visible lumps.
4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs and the sugar until they are combined. Add in the milk/yogurt mixture, oil, melted butter, and blueberries.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients and fold in with a rubber spatula. Be careful when you do this and take care not to over mix the batter.( I still had a few lumps of dry flour when I spooned them out. Again, DO NOT OVER MIX. You will get a tough muffin and these turn out wonderfully light.)
6. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non stick cooking spray. Using an ice cream scoop, fill the cups 2/3 c. full. 
7. Spoon 1 teaspoon of jam into the center of each muffin. Using a toothpick or chopstick, cover the jam with a bit of the batter, but it does not have to be completely submerged. 
8. Sprinkle with the sugar topping.
9. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Lower the heat to 375 and bake 5-7 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
10. Devour.

For the sugar topping: Combine lemon zest and sugar with a fork so it is a crumbly consistency. 


No comments:

Post a Comment