Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Homemade Tator Tots

When you hear the word tator tot, what do you think of? Elementary school? Napoleon Dynamite? Sonic? I think of greasy deliciousness that can now be made on bajillion times better if you do it yourself. Screw you or-ida! I win.



I came across this recipe and immediately thought that the time and effort was not worth it.

However, I was in possession of some of the best popchips ever (parmesan and garlic...drool) and had to either consume the entire confection before my Dad did, or use them to make these tots. So I chose the latter.

Having some left over baked russet potatoes was key in this recipe, I don't know if I would be so keen on peeling the potatoes, boiling them, mashing them, cooling them..ect ect ect. So, I am sure this recipe could be created in advance by boiling and mashing the potatoes and then leaving them in the fridge.

Potato Chip Encrusted Tator Tots
Adapted from Pennies on a Platter

2 Lbs. Russet or Baking Potatoes
1Tbs. Flour
1 Tbs. Whole Wheat Flour
1 bag popchips, crushed
2 egg whites
1/4-1/3 C. milk (I used almond milk)
Nonstick spray

Directions:
1. Peel potatoes, cut into cubes, and boil until they are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and mash them with about 1/4 cup of milk. It is important to remember you still want the potatoes to be slightly lumpy and not smooth because they are going into the oven. In order to achieve the right consistency, I added about a teaspoon of whole wheat flour and a teaspoon of egg white to the potatoes. 
2. Preheat the oven to 400. Form the potatoes into "nugget" shape by using a small spoon. Depending on how big you want your tots, but I wouldn't say more than two tablespoons worth, otherwise the chips will burn.
3. Once all of the potatoes have been formed, dust them with flour and then dip them in the egg wash. The last station is the pop chips. Line the finished ones on parchment paper while you finish the rest.
4. Bake in a 400 degree oven on a GREASED sheet of foil until slightly brown, then take out the tots, and flip them to the other side. When you return them to the oven, lower the temperature to 375. Continue to bake until golden brown and delish. 

I wish I had some now..these are amazing, the flavor, the crunch, the fact that I created them myself. 

Let me know what you think!

Til next time..

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment