Friday, January 7, 2011

Healthy Corn Muffins


Did you know that cornbread refers to any number of quick-breads and/or muffins that use cornmeal as one of the ingredients? That is, according to Wikipedia. I think this is an outrage. Cornbread has a distinct texture that is perfect for adding savory accompaniments. There are many different ways one can create a cornbread: in a cast iron, baked in a loaf, or (as I have done) in a delightful little muffin.

These muffins are not only delicious, but they are also healthy.

Some people don't believe that food can be delicious and healthy..amateurs.

They have a delightful crunchy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior. I surprised myself in the creation of this muffin; after searching online for several hours, I could not discover one that was something to my liking. I didn't want to use butter or a cup of oil. I didn't think it was worth it to be in some cornbread when it could be in something like a cupcake.

So, I created a recipe that was to my liking. I was nervous recipe testing..if it turns out crappy, how would I change it? How many dishes would I have to do? How much yelling would I have to endure for a failed attempt?

Thank God they worked.

Corn Muffins
Yield: 9-12 Muffins

1 1/2 Cups stone ground cornmeal*
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 scant c. almond milk (or any other milk)
1/4 C. Honey
1 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbs. unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Egg Whites (or 1/2 C. Egg beaters)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine all dry ingredients together. Whisk To combine. Add in wet ingredients and stir to combine, but do not over mix. 
3. Using an ice cream scoop, spoon batter into greased muffin tin, filling about 2/3 full. Bake in a 400 degree oven until tops are browned, then lower the temperature to 375 and bake about 10 minutes more.
4. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Enjoy with butter, jam, chili..the possibilities are endless!

*Note: I used Bob's red mill stone ground cornmeal, make sure whatever cornmeal you use in coarsely ground so you get that lovely crunch of the corn in the muffin. 


Until Next time...

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment